Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'm a big girl now.

If you have ever met Addison you know about her thumb & blankie.

 Addison turned 4 on Tuesday.  We have talked for a year or so about her turning 4 and that would be the time she would stop sucking her thumb.  Addison has sucked her thumb since birth.  She came out of the womb sucking anything- until she caught hold of her thumb and she was instantly hooked.  One would think that her thumb & blankie are somehow connected because every time she touches her blankie she immediately sticks that thumb in her mouth.  She uses it to sooth, comfort and in any situation that she is nervous or anxious.  Lately she's been very anxious ta preschool and last week at preschool she walked over to her cubby just to touch her blankie for a few seconds and then rejoined her class.

She had a dentist appointment on Wednesday.  Dr. Stevens made it very clear that she needed to stop sucking her thumb.  He & I talked about some ideas about how to do it.  I knew it would be extremely tough and we'd have to do something mean (nasty tasting something, gloves...) in order to get her to stop.  It had become such a habit and need.  

I was wrong.  I could not have been MORE wrong.  She left that office with a matter-of-fact attitude that she was done sucking her thumb.  Dr.'s orders.  (I still thought "what a great attitude... BUT... ")  This is DAY 6 that I have not seen her suck her thumb!  I would have bet huge sums of money against this!  Even further.... She has not taken more than 3 naps or nights without her blankie in her life.  She realized that she cannot sleep with blankie and not suck her thumb.  So, on tuesday she announces that she will keep her blankie at the bottom of her bed!  And last night she let me sleep with it (all her idea!). 

It has warmed my heart- and quite frankly made me teary eyed multiple times this week about how big she is being about this.  I have only encouraged.  She has been the brain-child about it all.  I'm only the proud & supportive mom.  I AM SO PROUD OF HER!

Following is JUST A FEW shots of her through the years with her thumb & blankie.  This blankie has been everywhere!


I have about 20 shots of this sitting.  I'm SO IN LOVE with these shots.  And she looks SO MUCH like me as a baby!



 Omaha Zoo

 Daddy & Addi.  Quite the snuggle bugs.

This shot cracks me up.  For several weeks/months she LOVED this stocking hat.

 In Florida at the "big house"

 St. Louis Zoo

ONE PROUD MOMMA!

4 comments:

Deidre Miles said...

So proud of Addison!!! What great photos to take us through time too! Such a sweet girl and I can't believe she's 4 already ...

kera said...

I think what I love most about this post is ALL the pictures you've captured over the years with 2 common denominators: blankie and thumb sucking! It's precious.....really those annoying dentists! But since we need those annoying dentists to keep our smiles pretty lets talk about what a BIG girl you have!!! It's funny sometimes that when someone else gives them the "what you have to do" talk rather than their parents the idea seems to makes sense! Kayd was a paci girl and we tried at different times to loose the paci, never worked. During a visit to the dentist {she was in her 4's} he had a serious sit down talk about loosing the paci's and W A L A! She never did suck another paci! Yeah for Addi!!!

Anonymous said...

This girl never ceases to amaze me!! LOVE HER SOOOO MUCH!!

Holly from Leaps of Faith said...

Awww...I have a special place in my heart for thumb suckers! My love for Addi just grew, and I haven't even met her yet! Did she ever wrap her pointer finger around her nose?? So precious!