Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tree Cuttin' & Trimmin'

You are not mistaken.  We were in a time warp.  It was June- and now all of the sudden its December.

This year we decided to go traditional with our tree.  I've been wanting to do this for a few years and it seemed like the perfect year to start.  I searched online and found the greatest farm.  You start out with hot apple cider....




...then you hop on the tractor to take you out to the fields of trees.

You search all of the trees looking for the perfect one...


 You choose the perfect one!

Daddy cuts it down and you wait for the tractor to come back & pick you up.  Lucky for us- our perfect tree was close to the road! 

Here it comes!!

Farmer man helps you load it up on the trailer...

You get it back to the prep station where they shake the tar out of it...

....while you warm up with some hot apple cider...
...and look in amazement at your tree being shaken to death....


... they wrap it up for you- and measure it (9 foot- really?!)


And now Daddy hauls it to the car...


...and works his magic...


And then you get it home- and Nathan cuts the strings- and it EXPLODES into this monster tree.  I swear this is not the tree we chose out on the farm!  But... it's still perfect.




3 comments:

kera said...

WELCOME BACK FRIEND!!! I've soooo missed you!! AND you know I adore that you went out and cut down your own tree! It's one of our fondest December traditions!! AND I can soooo relate to the tree blowing up once you've cut the strings.....we say every year that obviously someone switched trees with us on our ride home! LOVE IT!!

Oh and p.s. I LOVE the picture of Addi sippin' hot cider!

Heidi said...

Thank you Kera!! I've got a smile SO big that you actually found my blog after I've been gone so long. I didn't know what to do- where to start- and that was why it took me SO long to start. I thought I had to make up everything I'd missed. And that was a bit too overwhelming.

Thank you, my friend.

Love our tree. And what an experience. Sometimes we pay $45 just to do all the things we got to do there. And I thought that was a cheap tree! 9ft & HUGE!

Deidre Miles said...

You're the Griswalds! Great tree. Love that you're blogging again!